Monday, September 6, 2010

New York - While the train roars by

(Created June 4, 2010)


Departure is always strange, both in feelings and in tangible terms. I packed my life within a two-hour notice, into about 6 boxes, knowing vaguely what I am giving up and I am welcoming into my life. Because, departure means sacrifice, and that sacrifice includes numerous miscellaneous items I was painfully leaving behind, El Negrito included T_T

New York, New York.

Or actually, Newark, New Jersey received me (and Honey) with great fanfare and confetti (and by that I mean the usual rumbling and the littering of the place), marking the very end of our school year together, full of stories, emotions, ... and of course lots of code-names. It was not until I sat alone on the Queens-bound train that I realized ... This is going to be a long year ahead... Shit

Anyway, fast-forwarding... Got an internship, got a job, got chances to explore the city. And about 3 weeks have passed. More and more, I am falling in love... I love the parks and squares. I love the commute with food on my hand. I love the walk to lunch. I love the impatient (but also eye-candily) people. I love the screeching trains outside my window. I love the ghetto-ass market close-by. I love free concerts at Juiliard. I love the people I work with. I love my shitty-paying job.
My 9 to 5
And I love my boss!!... professionally that is :)! He technically threw us into the tasks with little instruction and we figured things out ourselves, dealing with agencies, learning a lot along the way. I'm pretty confident by the time I finish this thing, I will be more or less adept of navigating the NYC bureaucracy pretty well. And he's just a ballsy type of person with a weird sense of humor (calling me "Duder" :-P)... 
I also like that with this job, I get to help out going to different parts of the city that I might never ever think of, including conferences and townhall meetings. So far, we've been to a collapsed building site in Staten Island, and a massive strike in Co-op City... Working under Bill de Blasio, sometimes I'm just surprised how accidentally political my tasks can evolve, which is totally not my thing. But I guess it's something to learn. After all, the only things that ultimately survive weapons of mass destruction are cockroaches and governments (citations needed)... You can't play against them, play with them. 
The other job is OK. I'm just happy I got it after literally wandering around NY everyday after work for more than a week asking desperately everywhere. I'm also glad I get to eat Viet food now, speak my language, have an intense Canto-course(!), and meet new people (tourists FTW!). Sucky thing is it's an all-day all-weekend job... But good trade-off so far I think, I got Friday off tho.

Anyway, I think I've been doing well adapting myself. I feel like I own the place, I am in charge of my movement...(thanks to Metrocard) Whenever I want esp after work every day, I can just chill and people-watch in Bryant Park or Union Square with my cup of coffee and a good book, since it does not turn dark until 8 or so. Now that's life... It's frée!!! Strolling around Whole Food takeout bar and sample everything until you're full, and then ask for cup of ice so that you can get free milk from Starbucks have definitely aided me alot in keeping my budget for food! Loooove big city where anonymity abounds!!!

Since June is approaching, there are going to be even more festivity and humidity. So, get excited!



Serenity in Central Park

No comments:

Post a Comment